Among the various reasons why someone might need to visit a healthcare professional, back pain is one of the most common. Some people suffer from back pain following an acute injury (from events like car accidents and slip & falls). There are other people who might develop back pain due to a chronic medical condition. Regardless of the reason why someone might be suffering from back pain, it is important to take a holistic treatment approach.
This is where spinal decompression therapy can be helpful. It is important for everyone to know what is included when it comes to services from a spinal decompression chiropractor like Dr. Jenkins. Learn more about how we can help you below!
What Is Spinal Decompression Therapy?
The spine is made up of the spinal cord, bony vertebrae, and discs that separate the vertebrae from each other. The discs are filled with a soft, gelatinous fluid. Over time, these discs can become dehydrated. As a result, the vertebrae might start to compress the discs and rub against each other. This is one of the most common reasons why people suffer from back pain. It can compress the nerves as they exit the spinal cord, leading to severe discomfort.
This is where spinal decompression therapy can be helpful. The goal of spinal decompression therapy is to alleviate injuries, conditions, and common causes of discomfort in the back. The goal is to gently stretch the spine, increasing the amount of space between each vertebra. This can take the pressure off of the spinal discs, restoring the alignment of your spine in the process.
HOW DOES SPINAL DECOMPRESSION THERAPY WORK?
When you arrive for an appointment for spinal decompression therapy, Dr. Jenkins is going to go over all of the risks and benefits of this treatment option with you one more time. Then, all of your questions will be answered.
When it is time for spinal decompression therapy, you will be placed on a table. A small amount of traction will be applied to your back to stretch the vertebrae slightly. Dr. Jenkins is going to be with you every step of the way, making sure that you are comfortable the entire time. It is important to note that spinal decompression therapy is not meant to cause any discomfort. Furthermore, it may require more than one session of spinal decompression therapy for you to see results.
WHAT CONDITIONS CAN SPINAL DECOMPRESSION THERAPY TREAT?
There are a few common conditions that spinal decompression therapy can be used to treat. Some of the most common examples include:
- A Herniated Disc: If someone has developed a herniated disc in the back, then it is entirely possible that two vertebrae could be sitting on top of each other, leading to friction, pain, and inflammation. Even though lots of people have surgery for herniated discs, spinal decompression therapy could help someone avoid surgery, gently increasing the amount around the herniated disc, alleviating this discomfort.
- A Pinched Nerve: If there is a nerve that is pinched between the vertebrae as it is leaving the spinal cord, this can lead to shooting, shock-like pains. This is another area in which spinal decompression therapy can be helpful. By increasing the amount of space between the vertebrae, this nerve compression can be alleviated, reducing discomfort.
- Sciatica Treatment: Sciatica is one of the most common reasons why patients suffer from back pain. Sciatica treatment should involve a well-rounded approach that might involve spinal decompression therapy. This can remove compressive forces that might be irritating the sciatic nerve, leading to pain relief.
These are just a few of the most common reasons why chiropractors use spinal decompression therapy to treat a wide variety of back pain causes.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF SPINAL DECOMPRESSION THERAPY?
There are a few major benefits of spinal decompression therapy. These include:
- No Side Effects or Complications: There are countless people who invest in spinal decompression therapy who have been taking prescription pain medications. Even though these might be helpful for short-term pain relief, they are not meant to be used for long-term treatments due to their side effects and complications, which include addiction. With spinal decompression therapy, this is not a problem. With this manual therapy, nobody has to worry about any prescription, which avoids side effects and complications.
- Avoid Surgery: In some cases, spinal decompression therapy can also be used to help people avoid back surgery. This provides a faster and more comprehensive recovery process.
- Address the Root Cause of the Issue: Too often, back pain treatment options only treat the symptoms on the surface. With spinal decompression therapy, the root causes of back pain and discomfort can be addressed.
The goal of spinal decompression therapy is to not only help people get better but stay better as well.
Contact Seminole Chiropractic Center Today!
Spinal decompression therapy can be an incredibly helpful option for countless people who suffer from back pain. This could be used to help you address your back pain as well. Contact us today to make an appointment with our spinal decompression chiropractor, Dr. Dave Jenkins! We can help you get better and stay better!