A car accident can leave physical and emotional scars for life, even when it is as simple as a fender bender. One of the most common types of injuries caused by an auto accident is neck and back pain, usually associated with whiplash. The violent shake of the head that often accompanies even fender benders is enough to leave one’s neck hurting for days if not for life -- if left untreated for any amount of time.
There is help, however. You do not have to experience this pain your whole life. You can seek treatment for both short- and long-term care. Neck acupuncture has been a means for treating whiplash since before modern medicine was able to diagnose the condition. Here’s what you should know about treating whiplash with neck acupuncture and why it may be your best option.
What is Acupuncture?
Acupuncture is a form of treatment that requires the use of very thin needles. These needles are inserted in specific locations of the body at various depths depending on the person’s ailment. The theory behind acupuncture is that there are certain points in the body known as meridians. Through these points run vital energy, known as “qi” or “chi”, for the body.
To be more specific about the procedure, during acupuncture, the patient lies down on the back, side, or front part of the body. The needles used are single-use, disposable, sterile needles. As the needles are inserted, there may be a tingling or stinging sensation that lasts only for a moment. The needles stay in for approximately five to thirty minutes, again, depending on the ailment and your unique health condition. The number of treatments will also be dependent on the same.
Acupuncture originated in China and dates back hundreds of years, according to News Medical Life Sciences. Though many people may be quick to toss it aside as junk medicine, it is important to note that the procedure has been proven to work for many health issues. The National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health confirms studies that show it improves or eliminates pain associated with the neck, back, and/or whiplash. The World Health Organization has identified the same.
How Can Acupuncture Help Neck Pain after Car Accident? How to Treat Whiplash?
Acupuncture is a medicine-free, holistic approach to reducing, treating, and eliminating pain. How it treats pain is simple. Pain is often associated with inflamed tissue. Acupuncture reduces inflammation by:
- Improving blood flow and circulation; and
- Releasing endorphins, which are natural painkillers associated with the neuroendocrine system.
The pain associated with neck and back injuries, including whiplash, after a car accident or another type of accident involving trauma to the neck region is often the result of inflamed tissue. Thus, treating whiplash, neck pain, and back pain is -- as already mentioned -- is as good as seeking acupuncture from an acupuncturist.
Are there Any Associated Risks with Acupuncture?
Acupuncture for back and neck pain can safely be used on its own or in combination with other medicines or procedures. There are a few risks to keep in mind, however. You should first consult with your chiropractor if you have any type of bleeding disorder or take blood thinners.
That said, in some rare cases, a person may also experience soreness, bleeding, or bruising at the insertion site. Again, this is rare and may only result in people who have very sensitive skin.
Why Choose Acupuncture for Back and Neck Pain?
Acupuncture has been around providing benefits to people for thousands of years. People go to it because it delivers results -- when done right. So, if you want results for your back and neck pain, acupuncture may be your answer.
- First, unlike many medicines, there are no serious side effects of acupuncture.
- Second, many people who are in car accidents do not seek medical attention if there are no obvious injuries. The problem with whiplash is simple: it may not materialize immediately. Days or weeks could come and go before any type of pain sets in. For many patients, this is too late for conventional medicine to help cure or eliminate neck and back pain. The complications of whiplash may have -- by this time -- already set in. Chronic pain is often the result of delayed treatment. But unlike modern medicine, acupuncture can help those who waited too long for treatment.
There are other benefits to acupuncture treatment, too. These include any of the following:
- Significant pain reduction or elimination;
- Faster healing process for neck and back injuries;
- Increase range of movement for the neck and shoulder area;
- Reduced anxiety caused by traumatic car accident or other type of accident;
- Limited or reduced need to combine acupuncture with medicine to reduce pain;
- Overall improved quality of life with the pain from whiplash, neck injury, back injury healed or significantly reduced.
Thus, if you have back and neck pain or have experienced whiplash from an accident, acupuncture may be an excellent treatment for you. It comes with limited risks and proven scientific success to treat pain.
Where to Seek Acupuncture Treatment in Orlando, FL?
If acupuncture sounds like something you may want to try to reduce or eliminate your neck and/or back pain, then find a chiropractor Orlando for assistance. Treating neck pain, back pain, and whiplash through acupuncture is often a part of their practice. Their knowledge and experience can help you make an informed decision about a treatment plan right for you.